Friday, June 4, 2010

Gluten Free Grain Free Bread Recipe


Bobbie's Bread Recipe

I've taken an old recipe and tweeked it a bit. I use my breadman bread machine (I'll show you below) to make this bread, but it can easily be put into the oven.

3 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup warm water
4 1/2 Tbsp Oil (I use olive oil)
1 cup chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour)
1 2/3 cup almond flour
2 cup Tapioca flour/starch
5 1/4 tsp Xanthum gum (holds the bread together)
2 1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp sugar (to feed the yeast)
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 3/4 tsp active dry yeast

I put the setting on rapid white bread, 2 pound loaf, and dark crust and it's off to breadland. The total time for this bread in my bread machine is about 2 hrs 40 minutes. Using the almond flour extends the baking time a bit. I used to use just chickpea and tapioca flour, but the almond flour adds better taste. After the bread is done, I do bake it an additional 25-40 minutes in the breadman on bake only. Below are directions if you don't have a bread machine.

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium size bowl (or stand mixer bowl), including the yeast. Mix thoroughly on medium setting.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, warm water and oil until well combined. Pour these wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed (with paddle or dough hook, if using stand mixer). When a (sticky) ball begins to form, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 1 additional minute. The dough will still be sticky. It’s fine.

3. Scrape the dough into 2 greased 9″x5″ loaf pans. Cover with a towel, set in a draft-free warm spot and let rise about 60 minutes, until doubled in size. Near the end of the rise, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

4. Remove the towel and place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a spoon. Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

Here's the bread machine I use and I really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment